
So, last December 21st, Mike and I ran our first (and most likely last) 1/2 Marathon in Jacksonville. The weather was ideal, not too hot and not too cold. My mom and dad had the boys for the weekend and I had been training for ten weeks. I was running 4 to 5 times a week. I was feeling pretty good about myself. The day of the race, we got there at 6am (race started at 7am) and we had plenty of time to prepare. You have to get there early because the lines for the restroom are ridiculous. Something about running makes people have to pee or poo apparently. The race went fairly well. I did find it interesting to see all these men run to various bushes along the way to pee. We are in a neighborhood people!! Anyway after mile 10 I was quickly running out of steam and interest. I swear someone kept moving the finish line. Mike took this picture of me (he finished about 25 minutes before me) crossing the finishing line and yes, the girl behind me is much younger! I had her by a good two steps, although she was wearing some silly Christmas socks.
Fast forward to the first weekend in January. I admit I took some time off from all exercise after this race. I was burnt out. It's Saturday, I'm trying out the Wii Fit ski jump. I crouch down and stand up quickly for the jump. "Hmmm, that kind of hurt my hip". I ignored the pain until this past Tuesday when I could hardly walk. By Wednesday, I was miserable and left work to hobble into a walk in clinic. "Tendonitis". I received a huge shot of steroids in the booty and I'm now on steroids for the next six days to be followed by a month of anti-inflammatory drugs. I thought maybe it was a result from the running, but the Doc said you can get it from one sudden movement. Run, don't jump.
I have heard about an increase in Wii injuries...I don't play much, but then again we don't have Wii Fit yet!
ReplyDeleteOh my!!! Hope that clears up soon. And remember - when you fall off the Wii Balance Board, you just have to jump right back on!!! ;)
ReplyDelete